Select language:  
1800 620 420
Close menu

Financial Information

Financial stress is one of the hidden but very common side effects of blood cancer. In this year’s state of the nation survey, 45 per cent of respondents reported financial challenges. There are many government agencies and organisations that can help.

Watch our webinar on “Managing the financial realities of blood cancer”

Many people experience significant financial stress at the time of a blood cancer diagnosis. Personal and financial security can change, capacity to work can fluctuate and accessing insurance or support payments can create uncertainty and stress. Getting your financial affairs in order also includes planning for the future by making a Will

Guest Speakers:
Antony Mitchell – Former Financial & Legal Support Program | Cancer Council Victoria
Lee Hagipantelis & Natalie Dadisho – Brydens Lawyers | Leukaemia Foundation Partner

Three ways to gain control over your finances are:

  • Take action – if you are experiencing problems, talk to your bank or service provider and let them know what is happening so they can help you.
  • Do a budget – working out your income and expenses helps you to plan and work out what to do with your money.
  • Share the problem – talking to family, friends or a financial counsellor will give you a different perspective.

Financial counsellors are qualified professionals who provide free information, advice and advocacy to people in financial difficulty. Find out more here:

About financial counselling – Financial Counselling Australia

State-based concessions, grants, rebates and other assistance

Each state and territory government has a range of concessions, grants, rebates and other assistance to help ease cost of living pressures for their residents.

There are lots available, so it is always worth checking what you’re eligible for.

This includes help with bills such as electricity, phone, rates, transport and education costs. Click on the link to see what is available in your state.

Mortgage assistance and advice

If you own your home, contact your bank.  If you are temporarily unable to meet your normal loan repayments, you have the right to ask your lender for hardship assistance.

Find out more about your options

Depending on your circumstances, your lender may be able to offer options that will help reduce your repayments for a period of time until you are able to return to normal repayments.  For example:

  • Extending the length of the loan so that your repayments are lower
  • Converting the loan to interest only payments for a period of time
  • Reducing your repayments to the minimum monthly repayment amount
  • Accessing money you may have available in any redraw of your loan
  • Consolidating debts for example: personal loan, credit card and home loan debts into one loan, so that your total repayments are lower
  • A combination of these and other measures.

Housing assistance and advice

If you’re homeless or in a housing crisis, your state or territory government can help.

Find out more about housing assistance

Australian Capital Territory

1800 176 468
8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday
12:15pm to 3:30pm, Saturday and Sunday

New South Wales

1800 152 152
24 hours

Northern Territory



Homeless Hotline
1800 474 753
24 hours

South Australia

Homelessness Gateway
1800 003 308
24 hours


Housing Tasmania Housing Connect
1800 800 588
24 hours


1800 825 955
9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday
24 hours on weekends and public holidays

Western Australia

Entrypoint Perth
1800 124 684 (includes regional WA)
9am to 7pm, Monday to Friday
9am to 5pm, Saturday
Closed public holidays

Food assistance

A number of organisations provide food relief and help to feed the vulnerable.

Health related assistance

A number of options are available to assist with health related expenses.

Find out more about health related assistance

Medicare is Australia’s universal health care system that helps Australians with the cost of health care. The Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS) lists what health services are subsidised:

You may be eligible for a concession or health care card through Services Australia to access cheaper health services, dental care and medicines. The type of concession or health care card depends on your situation:

There are care plans which can be completed by your General Practitioner (GP) for Chronic Disease Management (CDM). You may be eligible for Medicare rebates for allied health services as part of your care plan:

The Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) subsidises the cost of medicine for most medical conditions. Anyone who is an Australian resident and holds a current Medicare card is eligible for subsidised medicines:

The PBS Safety Net limits out of pocket expenses for people who need a large number of medicines. If a person and/or family reach the Safety Net threshold they may be entitled to further reduced or free pharmaceutical benefits for the remainder of the calendar year:

Australia has reciprocal health care agreements with 11 countries that covers the cost of necessary health care:

The Patient Treatment Fund through Rare Cancers Australia can assist in gaining access to high cost medicines for cancer treatment:

The Essential Medical Equipment Payment is through Services Australia. It is a yearly payment to help with energy costs to run essential medical equipment or heating or cooling used for medical need. You must meet eligibility requirements:

Disability related assistance and advice

There are dedicated support services with information for what is available for people with disability, including illness:

Accessing Centrelink

You may be eligible for payments and services through Centrelink.

Find out more about Centrelink

You will have to meet eligibility criteria for payments and services. Depending on the type of payment or service you may need to supply medical documentation/reports.

If you need support in applying for Centrelink payments/services you can:

  • contact your treatment facilities, social workers and welfare officers
  • contact us directly on 1800 620 420 or via email at

First Nations people assistance and advice

Dedicated First Nations services to help manage debt:


Dealing with debt

If you are feeling overwhelmed with debt, there are services to help and to give advice.

Accessing superannuation

There are certain conditions for when you can access your superannuation early.

Find out more about superannuation

The conditions are are:

  • Incapacity — if you’re unable to work or need to work fewer hours because of a medical condition.
  • Severe financial hardship — if you can’t meet your living expenses and have been receiving Commonwealth benefits for 26 weeks.
  • Compassionate grounds — to pay for unpaid expenses. These could include medical treatment, modifying your home or vehicle because of a severe disability, funeral expenses, or a loan repayment to prevent you losing your home.
  • Terminal medical condition — if you have a terminal illness or injury.

More information can be found here:

Early access to super | Australian Taxation Office (

*You may also have with your superannuation – it’s worth calling your fund to check what you have.

Carer support

Find out more about carer support

Carers Couch offer a range of help and professional support services that are tailored to carers.

As a carer for someone who needs daily support you may be eligible through Service Australia for a supplementary payment:

Community support services

Community organisations may be able to help take pressure off in different ways e.g., by organising a helping hand.

Find out more about community support services


New South Wales (NSW)

Australian Capital Territory (ACT)

  • Anglicare | Services – provides a range of services including, emergency food relief, financial and housing support to people in ACT.
  • Home – Uniting NSW.ACT – provide care and support through all ages and stages of life with a focus on people experiencing disadvantage and vulnerability in ACT.

Victoria (VIC)

Queensland (QLD)

Tasmania (TAS)

Western Australia (WA)

South Australia (SA)

Northern Territory (NT)

There are other websites and organisations that you can turn to for help and support:

Illustration of notepads, a phone, and papers

Disclaimer: This information is of a general nature only and is not intended to be financial advice. There may be errors and inaccuracies, or the information may not be completely up-to-date. Always check the information provided before relying on it.

Practical support services

Find out more about the services offered by the Leukaemia Foundation

Information and support service referral

Fill out a referral form to get access to our services