Blood Cancer Taskforce
Supported by the Federal Government, the Blood Cancer Taskforce was established in September 2019 to deliver Australia’s first National Strategic Action Plan for Blood Cancer.
Uniting the blood cancer community
Co-chaired by Carrie Hillyard (Chairman, Leukaemia Foundation) and Professor John Seymour (Director Department of Clinical Haematology, Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre & Royal Melbourne Hospital), the Taskforce unites 29 of Australia’s leading haematologists, researchers, patients and members of the blood cancer community.
They are working together to provide the blueprint that will help tackle the key issues in blood cancer, today and into the future.
Current Blood Cancer Taskforce Members
- Professor Sanchia Aranda AM, CEO, Cancer Council Australia
- Dr Sharon Avery, Haematologist, Cairns Base Hospital
- Dr John Bashford, Director of Research, Icon Group; Private Cancer Physicians of Australia
- A/Professor Kate Burbury, Consultant Haematologist; Deputy Chief Medical Officer, Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre
- Dr Joe Collins AM, Representative, Lions Club International
- Dr Michael Dickinson, Haematologist and Disease Group Lead Aggressive Lymphoma (Peter MacCallum); Lymphoma Australia, Chair Medical Subcommittee
- Dr Chris Fraser, Chair Executive Council, Australian and New Zealand Children’s Haematology/Oncology Group (ANZCHOG)
- Professor Maher Gandhi, CEO and Director of Clinical Research, Mater Research Institute
- Professor David Gottlieb, Program Director BMT, Head Cell Therapies, Westmead Hospital
- Barbie Hartigan, Advocate, Leukaemia Foundation Patient Support
- Dr Carrie Hillyard AM (co-chair), Chair, Leukaemia Foundation
- Professor Tim Hughes, Cancer Theme Leader, South Australian Health and Medical Research Institute
- Dr Paul Jackson , General Manager Knowledge Management, Cancer Australia
- Professor David Joske, Chairperson, Solaris Cancer Care
- Melanie Kelly , Director, Insight Economics
- A/Professor Rishi Kotecha, Consultant Paediatric Oncologist & Clinical Haematologist, Perth Children’s Hospital; ANZCHOG
- A/Professor Steven Lane , Head of Cancer Program, Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital; QIMR Berghofer; Haematology Society of Australia and New Zealand Council (HSANZ)
- Professor Paula Marlton, Head of Leukaemia; Deputy Director Haematology, Princess Alexandra Hospital
- Dr Robert Menz, SA&NT Council member, Royal Australian College of General Practitioners
- A/Professor Peter Mollee , Director, Australasian Leukaemia & Lymphoma Group (ALLG)
- Carmel O’Kane, Cancer Nurse Practitioner; Vice President & Director Professional Practice, Cancer Nurses Society of Australia
- Professor Miles Prince AM, Director of Molecular Oncology and Cancer Immunology Epworth, Snowdome Foundation; Myeloma Australia, Epworth Hospital
- Professor Andrew Roberts AM, Laboratory Head; Joint Leader, Cancer Research and Treatments Theme, Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research
- Professor John Seymour AM (co-chair), Director Department of Clinical Haematology, Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre & Royal Melbourne Hospital
- Deborah Sims, Patient and advocate, Blood cancer survivor
- Delaine Smith, CEO, ALLG
- Elizabeth de Somer , CEO, Medicines Australia
- Richard Vines, Chairman, Rare Cancers Australia
- Dr Meg Wall, Unit Head, Genetics and Molecular Pathology, Monash Pathology; HSANZ
The Taskforce was supported by seven specialist Working Groups, led by members of the Taskforce and drawing on almost 100 external experts to contribute to the preparation of the National Strategic Action Plan for Blood Cancer.
We look forward to working together with the blood cancer community to launch and implement the National Action Plan and achieve zero lives lost to blood cancer by 2035.