Blood Cancer Taskforce
Supported by the Federal Government, the Blood Cancer Taskforce was established in September 2019 to deliver Australia’s first National Strategic Action Plan for Blood Cancer.
Uniting the blood cancer community
Co-chaired by Chris Tanti (CEO, Leukaemia Foundation) and Professor John Seymour (Director Department of Clinical Haematology, Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre & Royal Melbourne Hospital), the Taskforce unites 32 of Australia’s leading haematologists, researchers, patients and members of the blood cancer community.
They are working together to provide the blueprint that will help tackle the key issues in blood cancer, today and into the future.
Current Blood Cancer Taskforce Members
- Professor Sanchia Aranda AM, Consumer representative
- Dr Sharon Avery, Cairns Base Hospital
- Dr John Bashford, Icon Group; Private Cancer Physicians of Australia
- A/Professor Kate Burbury, Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre
- Dr Joe Collins AM, Lions Club International
- Dr Michael Dickinson, Lymphoma Australia, Chair Medical Subcommittee
- Dr Chris Fraser, Australian and New Zealand Children’s Haematology/Oncology Group (ANZCHOG)
- Professor Maher Gandhi, Mater Research Institute
- Professor David Gottlieb, Westmead Hospital
- Dr Nada Hamad, Australia New Zealand Transplant and Cellular Therapies (ANZTCT) society
- Professor Tim Hughes, South Australian Health and Medical Research Institute
- Dr Paul Jackson , Cancer Australia
- Professor David Joske, Solaris Health WA
- A/Professor Rishi Kotecha, Perth Children’s Hospital; ANZCHOG
- A/Professor Steven Lane , Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital; QIMR Berghofer; Haematology Society of Australia and New Zealand Council (HSANZ)
- Professor Paula Marlton, Princess Alexandra Hospital
- Kirstee Macbeth, Snowdome Foundation
- Dr Robert Menz, Royal Australian College of General Practitioners
- Sharon Millman, Lymphoma Australia
- A/Professor Peter Mollee , Australasian Leukaemia & Lymphoma Group (ALLG)
- Carmel O’Kane, Cancer Nurses Society of Australia
- Professor Miles Prince AM, Snowdome Foundation; Myeloma Australia; Epworth Hospital
- Steve Roach, Myeloma Australia
- Professor Andrew Roberts AM, Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research
- Professor John Seymour AM (co-chair), Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre & Royal Melbourne Hospital
- Deborah Sims, Blood cancer survivor
- Delaine Smith, ALLG
- Elizabeth de Somer , Medicines Australia
- Megan Varlow, Cancer Council Australia
- Richard Vines, Chairman, Rare Cancers Australia
- Dr Meg Wall, Monash Pathology; HSANZ
The Taskforce was supported by seven specialist Working Groups, led by members of the Taskforce and drawing on almost 100 external experts to contribute to the preparation of the National Strategic Action Plan for Blood Cancer.
We look forward to working together with the blood cancer community to launch and implement the National Action Plan and achieve zero lives lost to blood cancer by 2035.