Blood Cancer Taskforce
Supported by the Federal Government, the Blood Cancer Taskforce was established in September 2019 to deliver Australia’s first National Strategic Action Plan for Blood Cancer.
The Hon Greg Hunt MP shares a message with the Blood Cancer Taskforce and the whole blood cancer community as part of Blood Cancer Awareness Month 2021.
Uniting the blood cancer community
Co-chaired by Chris Tanti (CEO, Leukaemia Foundation) and Professor John Seymour (Director Department of Clinical Haematology, Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre & Royal Melbourne Hospital), the Taskforce unites 32 of Australia’s leading haematologists, researchers, patients and members of the blood cancer community.
They are working together to provide the blueprint that will help tackle the key issues in blood cancer, today and into the future.
Current Blood Cancer Taskforce Members
- Prof John Seymour AM (co-chair), Director Department of Clinical Haematology, Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre & Royal Melbourne Hospital
- Chris Tanti (co-chair), CEO Leukaemia Foundation
- Dr Sharon Avery, Haematologist, Alfred Health
- Dr John Bashford, Director, Icon Research and Foundation President, Private Cancer Physicians of Australia
- Hayley Beer, Interim CEO, Myeloma Australia
- A/Prof Kate Burbury, Consultant Haematologist, Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre
- Dr Joe Collins AM, Lions Club International
- Dr Michael Dickinson, Disease Group Lead of Aggressive Lymphoma, Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre; Chair Medical Subcommittee, Lymphoma Australia
- Prof Wendy Erber, Pro Vice-Chancellor and Executive Dean of Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, University of Western Australia
- Dr Chris Fraser, Immediate Past Chair, Australian and New Zealand Children’s Haematology/Oncology Group (ANZCHOG)
- Prof Maher Gandhi, Executive Director and Director of Clinical Research, Mater Research
- Prof David Gottlieb, Director Blood Transplant and Cell Therapies Program, Westmead Hospital Sydney
- Dr Nada Hamad, President, Australia New Zealand Transplant & Cellular Therapies (ANZTCT)
- Deborah Henderson, Patient advocate
- Prof Tim Hughes, Precision Medicine Theme Leader, South Australian Health and Medical Research Institute (SAHMRI); Consultant Haematologist, SA Pathology
- Prof David Joske, Chairperson and Founder, Solaris Cancer Care
- A/Prof Rishi Kotecha, Honorary Research Fellow and Consultant, Child and Adolescent Haematology and Oncology, Telethon Kids Institute
- Dr Hui-Peng Lee, Lymphoma Lead Clinician; Flinders Medical Centre; Vice President, HSANZ
- Prof Paula Marlton, Head of Leukaemia, Princess Alexandra Hospital
- Kirstee Macbeth, CEO Snowdome Foundation
- Dr Robert Menz, Royal Australian College of General Practitioners
- Sharon Millman, CEO Lymphoma Australia
- A/Prof Peter Mollee, Chair, Myeloma Disease Group Committee, and Co-Chair, High Grade Lymphoma Group, Australasian Leukaemia & Lymphoma Group (ALLG)
- Carmel O’Kane, Cancer Nurse Practitioner, Cancer Nurses Society of Australia
- Prof Miles Prince AM, Director Molecular Oncology and Cancer Immunology, Epworth Hospital; Chair of the Medical Scientific Advisory Group, Myeloma Australia
- Prof Andrew Roberts AM, Laboratory Head, Joint Leader, Cancer Research and Treatments theme, Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research
- Delaine Smith, CEO ALLG
- Elizabeth de Somer, CEO Medicines Australia
- Cindy Toms, Head of National Research and Data, Cancer Australia
- Megan Varlow, Director Cancer Control Policy, Cancer Council Australia
- Richard Vines, Chairman, Rare Cancers Australia
- Dr Meg Wall, Genetic Pathologist and Haematologist Victorian Clinical Genetics Services; HSANZ Councillor; Monash Health
The Taskforce was supported by seven specialist Working Groups, led by members of the Taskforce and drawing on almost 100 external experts to contribute to the preparation of the National Strategic Action Plan for Blood Cancer.
We look forward to working together with the blood cancer community to launch and implement the National Action Plan and achieve zero lives lost to blood cancer by 2035.