This listing provides contact details of organisations who provide help to patients, carers and their families. The information is correct at time of printing but is subject to frequent changes and you should check the latest details.
Australian Government – Money Smart
- Money management
- Budget planner
- Superannuation information
- Information on credit, loans and debt
- Helpful financial publications.
- Information is available on the Department of Human Services website.
- Enquiries about Disability Support Pension, Mobility Allowance, Carer Payment, Carer Allowance, and Sickness Allowance. Telephone: 13 27 17.
- Enquiries about Newstart Allowance, Widow Allowance, Farm Help, Exceptional Circumstances Relief Payment, Partner Allowance, Special Benefit, and Employment Services Providers, including Job Services Australia. Telephone: 13 28 50.
- Age Pension, Pensioner Concession Cards, Bereavement assistance, Widow B Pension, Wife Pension, and Commonwealth Seniors Health Card enquiries. Telephone: 13 23 00.
- Disability Employment Assistance Telephone: 13 27 17.
Employment and volunteer organisations
A variety of organisations provide assistance to patients seeking to return to the workforce in an employed or volunteer capacity.
- JobSearch contains job listings and career information. Telephone 13 62 68.
- The Queensland Government provides advice to support people with a disability with finding and keeping meaningful employment; as well as information about related topics such as starting study or returning to work. Telephone 13 74 68.
- Wesley Mission Employment Services supports people with disability by helping them find and maintain meaningful employment. Telephone 07 3031 3030 or 02 9263 5555.
- Centacare is the social services arm of the Catholic Church and works in partnership with various levels of government and the community providing an extensive employment service. Telephone 07 3426 0100 or 08 8215 6700.
- Skilling Solutions Queensland is a Queensland Government initiative and provides help with training for a new occupation and helping you find appropriate positions. Telephone 1300 654 687.
- Pro Bono Australia has information on job vacancies in the not-for-profit sector and also for companies engaged in corporate social responsibility.
- Volunteering Queensland is the lead agency for volunteers in Queensland and has a wide range of volunteer positions available around the state. Telephone 07 3002 7600.
In Brisbane, financial counselling services are available through the Leukaemia Foundation – contact us on 07 3055 8233 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. In other parts of the country, a counsellor may be contacted through Financial Counselling Australia for assistance with a variety of financial concerns (telephone 1800 007 007).
The Australian Bankers’ Association provides a website with extensive information on financial literacy, consumer protection, managing your money, budgeting, the Code of Banking Practice and how to resolve problems with your bank. Telephone 02 8298 0417. If you cannot resolve a dispute with your bank, insurance company or other financial institution you may contact the Financial Ombudsman Service (telephone 1300 780 808).
Last updated on June 19th, 2019
Developed by the Leukaemia Foundation in consultation with people living with a blood cancer, Leukaemia Foundation support staff, haematology nursing staff and/or Australian clinical haematologists. This content is provided for information purposes only and we urge you to always seek advice from a registered health care professional for diagnosis, treatment and answers to your medical questions, including the suitability of a particular therapy, service, product or treatment in your circumstances. The Leukaemia Foundation shall not bear any liability for any person relying on the materials contained on this website.