Blood Cancer Support Co-Ordinator - Metropolitan Canberra and surrounding district
Permanent Part-time position 30 hours (4 days) per week with a 12-month contract initially
Provide practical, emotional and educational support
Be a part of a caring and dynamic team
Join a newly unified national organisation
Beating blood cancers by helping patients live longer and have a better quality of life.
About the Foundation
The Leukaemia Foundation is the only not-for-profit organisation dedicated to supporting patients and their families affected by a blood cancer such as leukaemia, lymphoma, myeloma, MPN, MDS and related blood disorders. In addition, the Foundation directs significant funds each year to cutting edge medical research to find better treatments and cures.
The Foundation cares for patients and families by providing a range of vital support services, free-of-charge, including counselling, information, accommodation, transportation and practical assistance for patients and their families.
We are currently seeking a motivated, confident and energetic individual to join the Foundation’s Support team, and to provide services to patients and their families in Canberra and surrounding regions.
- Providing information, practical and emotional support and intermediary short-term counselling
- Conducting hospital and home visits
- Assisting patients/families to navigate the process in accessing Centrelink services
- Responding to a diverse range of telephone enquiries from patients, carers, family or friends affected by blood cancers
- Responding to email enquiries from the Leukaemia Foundation website
- Having the ability to travel and visit haematology treatment centres within the surrounding district
- Ability to liaise and collaborate with health care professionals, government departments and other not-for-profit organisations to promote the Leukaemia Foundation services and activities
- Ability to organise and co-ordinate support groups/educational meetings for patients/families/carers
- Ability to work in collaboration with the accommodation co-ordinator
Position Requirements (Selection Criteria):
Experience/Post Graduate qualifications in Oncology/Haematology - Nursing, Social Work/Welfare, Behavioural Sciences
Experience within the Haematology or Oncology area will be well regarded
Demonstrated interpersonal sensitivity with counselling experience
Relevant experience working in the community as well as a hospital environment
Sound computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite including Word and Excel, databases and a sound knowledge of internet practice
Requirements to qualify for a Child Safety card as required to ACT
A current driver’s licence
Tertiary qualifications in Nursing or Allied Health
Excellent communication skills
Self-motivated worker with high-level organizational skills
Flexible and adaptable with a "can do" approach
Effective team player and contributor.
This is permanent part time position 30 hours (4 days) per week with a 12-month contract initially and will be located at the new Leukaemia Foundation ACT accommodation centre.
An attractive salary will be offered and staff can access salary packaging benefits in line with the Foundation’s not for profit status.
Please forward your application with a covering letter (outlining how your skills and experience meet the position requirements) together with your resume.
Position description is available below and for more information, please contact email@example.com.
The Leukaemia Foundation is a Child Safe and Equal Opportunity Employer